25.1.09

life's surprise blessings
















Dug woke me up early today, so I have a moment to share about our week, which as been kind of crazy. Monday morning, I received an e-mail from Brad that a lady in his office, Talena, had rescued a puppy and they were all trying to find him a home.

I quickly passed along the e-mail to many of my dog-loving friends, and then I tried to find out more information about this little guy. Talena had watched Animal Control in Bonner Springs take him into a vet (who is lovingly known as Dr. Death, so apparently this is a common occurrance) who she knew had a three-day holding period for owners to claim their pets before he puts them down. I guess they don't have any kind of shelter in Bonner Springs? Anyway, Talena gave the vet her phone number and asked him to call her if the puppy wasn't claimed.

So, he called her on Monday morning at 8:45 AM and said "The puppy has until 11:00 AM." She couldn't convince him to hold him until after the workday, so she picked him up and took him to Wells Fargo's office. Everyone fell in love with him, and Brad and I offered to foster him if he didn't have a home by the end of the day. So, Monday night after work, we picked him up.

He is a very cute and very sweet dog. The office named him Jack after the Wells Fargo stagecoach dog. Talena had picked up some food, a new collar and leash, some treats and some toys. I grabbed a kennel/crate and food dish on my way home. He is a very curious puppy, very playful with a sweet personality. But, his paws are bigger than you expect. After looking on the internet with our friends Adam and Rachel, we decided that we think he's part Border collie. Not full bred, because he didn't seem to be fuzzy enough for that, but his markings were definitely pointing in the Border collie direction.

He really liked Dug. They wrestled and wrestled, and Jack tried to chew on Dug's curly tail. Ebert wanted to play ball (surprise!), and he growled at Jack when Jack tried to play, too. Jack made some good progress with potty training and was even starting to go to the door to go outside.

He slept through the night on Monday night, and on Tuesday evening we found him a forever home. A couple came to meet him, and I'm convinced that anyone who meets him falls in love. The husband had lost his boxer, and they were looking for a new dog for him. I'm really glad he found a family (with four kids, two cats, and another dog) to love him and spoil him rotten. Brad and I discussed keeping him, but to have three dogs, we would need an SUV! That wasn't in the budget plan . . . but other than that . . .

Dug and Ebert are glad to have things back to normal. I am, too, but I still think about that cute little guy. I'm glad we were willing and able to help one of God's helpless creatures.

Okay, so somehow the pictures went to the top! Sorry . . .

No comments: