2.12.11

The Fight

I don’t know why my daughter chose today to pick a fight with me over naptime. But, today it was. I could feel my anger rising, and I had to strongly resist the urge to just plop her in her crib, shut the door, and hide down in the basement. It took almost three hours to finally get her to nap, lots of shows on the DVR, and a phone call for Mommy to vent to Daddy about what a little stinker his daughter was. Oh, and a lot of prayer. And now, my daughter is sleeping peacefully, standing up in her crib, resting her head on the front rail, and holding her stuffed teddy bear.


As I was rocking her for the fourth time in this attempt at naptime, praying to God to give me the patience and the grace to make it today, I felt a little nagging feeling that God does, in fact, know exactly how I feel. How I have fought Him and fought Him on something He knows is in my best interest, something that I really need. I think I know better, that I don’t need the nap. And in that situation, I am always wrong. Sometimes it just takes me a while to figure it out, and all the while, God was still holding me, pleading with me to finally give in and let Him be the parent.

So, I don’t know why my daughter wanted to fight her nap today, but I know that God wanted to share a little insight into His role as my Father and His patience with me. So, today I was humbled and thankful for a Father who cares so much for me, and who gives me what I need to be a better mother.

1 comment:

Kara said...

I am completely guilty of putting Isaac in his crib, shutting the door and hiding in the basement while venting to Tim on the phone. And its ok. Sometimes its best for Mommy to remove herself from the situation...for the sake of the child :) Love how God uses every day life to teach us about our relationship with Him.