15.6.11

Trying to quantify

I received an email from my husband today that made me smile. You see, now that I stay at home with our daughter, sometimes I find it difficult to define my role, or even to figure out how much value to place on it once I've defined it. It seems as though I've needed a business card to define my role and a paycheck to define it's value.

Many people have attempted to place a monetary value on a wife and mother. They calculate the nanny cost, the maid expense, laundry service, the cook, the chauffeur, the bookkeeper. What they fail to quantify, or even take into account, is the contribution of self. The element of you that you bring to the table that no one else can replace. I have often failed to recognize how much my presence means to my family.

I am learning more and more about my role as a wife and mother, and how significant that role is in my home. The decision to stay home wasn't as easy as I expected it to be, but for us, it was definitely the right decision. It has allowed me to focus on creating a nurturing, calm environment for our family. I really liked my job before having our daughter, and I'd like to think I was pretty good at it, but the further we get down this road of parenthood, the more I know that I'm not good enough at multitasking to be able to do it all - the job, the kid, the husband, the home.

Now, I know my choice isn't for everyone. Some of my closest friends are working moms, and I struggled with the decision myself. I firmly believe that you have to make the decision that is right for you and your family, so no judgment here! But whether you work outside the home or not (mother or not), never underestimate the power of your presence. You, who you are, matters so much to the other members of your family. Your position as matriarch of your home is significant. You make it a home.

The email I received today wasn't mushy or really intended to be romantic. It just contained a comment in passing that served as a reminder of the value I bring to my life. The things God calls us to do and to be are never insignificant. I just needed that reminder today. Maybe you do, too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah! Love this :)

LissaNaylor said...

I love this too Sarah! I totally agree too. I'm not a good working mom - some people can do it but I just can't. Our home just doesn't run the same. Thanks for the reminder!